Surgery RN Circulator
- - Perioperative Services
- Sidney, OH, USA
- Full Time
Functions independently in a professional manner as a scrub and/or circulator providing care for patients in the Operating Room/Endoscopy. Facilitates the safe and effective conduct of invasive surgical procedures ensuring the operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly, and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed within the scope of responsibility.
- Promotes the mission, vision, and values of the organization while serving as a role model of professional behavior.
- Provides care based on awareness of patient rights, privacy, ethical concepts, respect for life, dignity, human worth and the individuality of the human being.
- Participates in Quality Improvement Studies
- Assess, plan, implement, and evaluate nursing care.
- Completes thorough and ongoing assessments of assigned patient in a timely and professional manner on each assigned patient on arrival to the Operating Room and throughout the OR stay determining total nursing needs and plans intra-operative nursing care.
- Collects, interprets, documents and communicates pertinent data that is relevant to the patient's care in surgery.
- Implements the plan of care by:
- protecting the patient from injury caused by chemical, electrical, laser, mechanical, and thermal sources and extraneous objects;
- performing count procedures to protect the patient from unintended retained surgical items;
- performing interventions necessary to ensure that the patient's procedure is performed on the correct site, side, and level;
- managing the patient's specimens in the appropriate manner;
- communicating the patient's current status to the appropriate parties throughout the continuum of care;
- administering medications safely and correctly;
- performing interventions to maintain the patient's wound and tissue perfusion at or above baseline levels;
- performing interventions to maintain the status of the patient's genitourinary, gastrointestinal, musculoskeletal, endocrine, respiratory, cardiovascular, and neurological systems and fluid, electrolyte, and acid-base balances at or above baseline levels;
- performing interventions to ensure the patient is at or returned to normothermia at the conclusion of the immediate postoperative period;
- performing interventions to protect the patient from surgical site infection;
- Establishes and maintains a sterile field. Monitors aseptic technique throughout the procedure. Antibiotic administration per physician order.
- assessing the knowledge level of the patient or designated support person;
- actively involving the patient or designated support person in decisions affecting his or her perioperative plan of care and the rehabilitation process;
- provide consistent and comparable care regardless of the setting.
- Prepares room with appropriate instruments, sutures, supplies, implants, and equipment necessary for each individual surgical procedure. Ensures that all instrument/implant sets are complete prior to the start of the case.
- Handles the instruments, supplies, and equipment necessary during the surgical procedure.
- Has an understanding of the procedure being performed and anticipates the needs of the surgeon.
- Has the necessary knowledge and ability to ensure quality patient care during the operative procedure
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge of sterile technique by monitoring and maintaining the sterile field, and following policies and procedures for sterilization of instruments and supplies.
- Evaluates the patient's progress toward attaining outcomes.
- Transfers care as appropriate.
- Delegates tasks as appropriate according to Nurse Practice Act and job descriptions.
- Documents nursing care accurately, completely, and legibly.
- Collaborates effectively with other disciplines as appropriate.
- Participates in quality review and performance improvement projects.
- Uses problem-solving and conflict resolution skills to foster effective work relationships with team members.
- Maintains required competencies.
- Pursues professional growth and participates in a professional organization.
- Acts as a patient advocate and maintains privacy and confidentiality of all appropriate information.
- Demonstrates a self-directed, mature, disciplined and tactful approach to completing work duties.
- Accepts responsibility for job performance.
- Accountable to completing mandatory work and competencies on time.
- Implements new policy and procedures following inservice.
- Cooperates with other personnel to maintain effective teamwork relationships.
- Adapts to changes in the workload, and demonstrates flexibility according to the surgery schedule
- Assists other team members in the clean up of the OR room.
- Participates in economical utilization of supplies and equipment. (procedures; manages assigned inventory to appropriate PAR and for outdates)
- Performs effectively in crisis and emergency situations.
- Assumes responsibility for ensuring continued professional growth for improvement of patient care through initiative, adaptability and self-learning for new equipment and procedures.
- Identifies own learning needs and seeks opportunities for self growth and career opportunities.
- Strives to maintain current education in surgical procedures and related aspects of nursing care. Consults, observes, and assists others in order to increase personal knowledge.
- Reflects cooperative attitude and behavior.
- Is willing to adjust personal schedule in order to complete workload in view of an increased schedule, late surgical procedures or staffing reduction.
- Coordinates work to achieve maximum productivity and efficiency
- Makes an assessment of and determines the total needs of the procedure to be performed.
- Is adequately prepared to start cases on time.
- Anticipates and prepares for possible or probable complications.
- Uses time effectively
- Adapts to changes in the patient workload, demonstrates flexibility according to the surgery schedule.
- Assists other team members upon the completion of surgery (i.e. moving patient to cart for transport to PACU, assisting in room cleanup, including disposal of linens, gloves, instruments, equipment, and waste).
- Maintains a positive communication:
- Demonstrates effective communication and collaboration skills with perioperative team members.
- Assists in originating and updating preference cards by communicating physician requests and procedure changes to the appropriate surgery staff to communicate to all surgery scrub/circs.
- Maintains privacy and confidentiality of all appropriate information.
- Inspires confidence from patients, visitors, and staff by performing and communicating in a professional manner.
- Handles frustrations appropriately without affecting performance of job duties.
- Helps to maintain good harmonious relationships among the Surgical Services staff during all types of working conditions.
- Cooperates with other personnel to maintain effective relationships: interdepartmental and intradepartmental.
- Assure open and timely communication with all patients, their significant other, and team members to ensure the occurrence of effective, therapeutic intervention.
- On Call responsibilities:
- Takes fair share of monthly call and the holiday rotation.
- When on call, remains near a phone, and/or carries a pager and notifies the Nursing Supervisor of method to be reached.
- Responds to work within 30 minutes of notification without questions.
- PERFORMS ADDITIONAL DUTIES AS ASSIGNED WITHIN THE SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Current Ohio RN license
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification within 2 months of hire and maintained.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification within 1 year of hire and maintained.
- Certified Nurse, Operating Room (CNOR) certification
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
- Bachelor's degree in nursing
- One to two years of Medical-Surgical experience
- Two years perioperative services experience
- Basic computer skills (eg, Microsoft® Word)