- - Perioperative Services
- Sidney, OH, USA
- Full Time
Under the direction of the Surgery Manager/ Designee provides support for the Surgery Department by performing the following duties: Schedules surgeries and Same Day Surgery Outpatient Medicals, pre-registers patients, completes post case data, and communicates with the entire health team. This includes Physician offices, physicians, patients, patient families, anesthesia department, and hospital ancillary departments.
The patient population would include: The neonate, the pediatric patient, the adolescent patient, the young-middle aged adult patient, and the geriatric patient.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Promotes the mission, vision, and values of the organization while serving as a role model of professional behavior.
- Demonstrates a mature disciplined and tactful approach to completing work duties.
- Accepts responsibility for job performance
- Punctual in reporting to duty and ready to begin work at the start of each shift.
- Demonstrates dependency by, but not limited to, adhering to dress code, reporting to duty on time, appropriate use of sick time, MTO and attendance.
- Promotes good group morale within the department.
- Handles frustrations appropriately without affecting job performance.
- Provides care based on ethical concepts, respect for life, dignity, human worth and the individuality of each human being.
- Respects patient's and family's wishes or religious / spiritual beliefs.
Recognizes job relationship and functions effectively within the organizational structure.
- Coordinates scheduling of surgery procedures with room availability and time to maximize efficiency of the surgery schedule, assuring accurate utilization of personnel, equipment, and time allowance.
- Accurately schedules surgery procedures and Same Day Surgery Outpatient Medical patients with the physicians' offices entering all appropriate information in the computer.
- Assures open and timely communication with physician offices, patients, and team members to ensure occurrence of effective therapeutic intervention.
- Takes accurate messages and relays information in a timely manner
- Answers the phone consistently and with a pleasant voice and manner.
- Coordinates procedures with the Radiology Department as necessary.
- Coordinates procedures needing a frozen section with Pathology.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Organizes and transcribes surgery schedule for the next scheduled working day and distributes to Anesthesia and Surgery Charge Nurse/Surgery Manager.
- Notifies the Nursing Supervisor of late or added cases.
- Covers the Surgery HUC position as necessary.
- Transports specimens as needed to lab and pathology as directed by the RN.
- Coordinates work and completes duties in a timely manner achieving maximum productivity and efficiency.
- Participates in the maintenance of a clean, orderly, and safe department.
- Demonstrates understanding of role in emergencies, fire and disaster drills. Performs effectively in crisis and emergency situation.
- Adheres to surgery policies and procedures. Participates in economical utilization of supplies and equipment.
Is willing to adjust personal schedule in order to complete workload in view of an increased surgery schedule, late surgical procedures, or staffing reduction.
Assumes responsibility for insuring continued professional growth in the following manner:
- Identifies own learning needs and assumes responsibility for continued professional growth.
- Shows initiative by recognizing and performing duties when not directly assigned.
- Completes required annual hospital in-services and safety programs
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or general education degree (GED).
- One to three months related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one on one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The specific job duties that require the physical demands selected above include:
- Ability to see for evaluating the activities of the department
- Ability to read fine print
- Ability to see the computer screen
- Peripheral vision important for monitoring activities and movement of equipment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and risk of radiation. The surgery unit has monitors, computers, cautery equipment, drills, saws, autoclaves, professional and patient traffic that effects the work environment.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.