Orthopedic Health Unit Coordinator
- - Perioperative Services
- Sidney, OH, USA
- Full Time
Wilson Health is looking for a direct hire Health Unit Coordinator for our location in Sidney, Ohio (North Dayton, Ohio) area.
Employment Status: Full Time
Hours: 40 hours a week
Position Reports to: Nurse Manager
Under the direction of the Orthopedic Surgery Services Manager/designee the Surgery HUC provides clerical, information systems, and service support for the Surgery Department to assist the health care team as they provide patient care.
The patient population would include: the neonate patient, the pediatric patient, the adolescent patient, the young-middle aged adult patient, and the geriatric patient.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Promotes the mission, vision, and values of the organization while serving as a role model of professional behavior.
- Displays calm, organized approach in difficult situations and remains functional and supportive under stress.
- Effectively prioritize and complete duties in a timely manner, coordinates work to achieve maximum productivity and efficiency.
- Promotes positive work environment through encouragement, consideration, enthusiasm, respect, humor and tact.
- Maintains privacy and confidentiality of all appropriate information.
- Shows initiative by recognizing and performing duties when not directly assigned
- Displays flexibility in scheduling in order to meet the needs of the department.
- Participates in the maintenance of a clean, orderly, and safe department.
- Demonstrates understanding of role in emergencies, fire and disaster drills. Performs effectively in crisis and emergency situations.
- Recognizes personal error and takes prompt corrective action.
- Helps to maintain good working relationships among the surgical service staff.
Demonstrates effective communication and collaboration skills with members of the perioperative team and other stakeholders
- Monitors progress of the surgery schedule and in a timely manner communicates advances and delays to OR Manager/Charge Nurse, Anesthesia Float, SDS, and surgeon office as appropriate.
- Initiates communication to ancillary departments as directed to aid in accurate surgery start time.
- Schedules add-on procedures accurately to assure accurate utilization of blocks, personnel, equipment and time.
- Calls Surgery Family Waiting Area for families to speak with physicians after procedures.
- Answers the phone consistently with a pleasant voice and manner and relays accurate messages in a timely manner, screening urgency. Uses Service Plus skills effectively.
- Notifies nursing supervisor of late or added surgeries.
- Greets visitors (students, vendors) in a welcoming manner and directs them according to policy.
Provides cost effective management of inventory as assigned.
- Monitors submission of surgery staff inventory requisitions and with accuracy, appropriately implements purchasing process to ensure necessary supplies are available for scheduled procedure.
- Monitors purchase requisitions for delay and follows up with materials management appropriately.
- Receives inventory supply in Surgery Department giving attention to accuracy. Communicating pertinent information regarding back-orders and anticipated release dates to Surgery Manager/designee.
- Maintain anesthesia supply inventory completing purchase order requisitions, tracking, and stocking of supplies.
- Restock anesthesia supplies in the operating rooms daily.
- Responsible for ordering Office supplies for all of Surgical Services allocating expenses to appropriate departments when placing the purchase orders.
Provides Clerical Support for the surgery department including but may not be limited to the following:
- Assist Surgery Management with statistical calculations for monthly reports (ex. block schedule, utilization, overtime, procedure counts, etc.).
- Assists in computer training of Surgical Services personnel in data base programs including but not limited to electronic health record, Meditech, etc.
- Monitors requests to verify accurate ordering and patient charging.
- Maintains records of purchase orders, and requisitions.
- Maintain proficient computer skills in Windows Word and Excel programs to complete clerical duties and assist with CQI reports.
- Participates in Surgery QAPI studies providing assistance with compiling statistics, data collection, and preparing reports.
- Cross-train to surgery scheduler. Accurately schedule procedures with appropriate information coordinating with Pathology and Radiology as necessary.
- Assist with Surgery Post-Case Data entry.
- Delivers intra-operative data sheets to physician mailboxes.
- Obtains necessary signatures of consent from patient and explains patient rights to the patient. Prepares ID bracelets and places the band on the Surgical patient. Monitors completion of information on log.
- Reviews facesheet for correct information. Monitors completion and disposition of all Emergency Records for each visit. Scans forms and distributes forms to appropriate departments
- Maintains files, keeps insurance data, and forms current.
- Executes faxing of patient records when requested. Maintains patient confidentiality, and follow policies and procedures in the release of medical information.
- Performs patient related clerical duties necessary to assist health care team as they provide care to patients.
- Effectively presents information and responds to questions from managers, staff members, patients, patient families, and the general public. These would include the age groups: pediatrics, adolescent, young-middle aged adults, and geriatric.
- Registers and interviews patient and patient's representative to obtain and record name, address, age, religion, persons to notify in case of emergency, attending Physician, and individual or insurance company responsible for payment of bill and other demographic/financial information deemed necessary to complete patient record.
- At all times, maintains patient confidentiality, and protects patient's right to privacy.
- Participates in projects and programs directed toward personal and professional growth
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High School diploma or general education degree (GED). Related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of training and experience.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Excellent communication skills. Service Plus.
Personal computer skills – Windows Meditech preferred.
Demonstrate excellent organizational skills / record management
Assist in the operation of office equipment or willingness to learn
At Wilson Health we don't measure success by profits but by the health and vitality of our community. Our hospital is an independent, professional, friendly, intimate environment where people know everyone across all disciplines on a first name basis. We care just as much about the success of your health as we do the success of your career.
KEY PERKS AND BENEFITS:
- Pay (Shift Differential, Weekend Differential, Holiday Pay, and Direct Deposit)
- Retirement (Defined Contribution, Employer Contribution, Employer Match, and Various Investment Options)
ABOUT WILSON HEALTH:
At Wilson Health, improving the health of the community is at the heart of our mission. Wilson Health extends care beyond the walls of the hospital with resources designed to keep people in charge of their health. Wilson Health's purpose is to offer better healthcare to our communities, so people can spend more time doing what they love with those they love. Wilson Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).